Friday 9 October 2015

WHAT GARDENING TAUGHT ME

WHAT GARDENING TAUGHT ME

Plants meant greenery, bearer of fruits and flowers for me. My interaction with them was only in scientific terms. As I spent more time with them I realised their therapeutic mode. I had heard about this before but believed only when I experienced it personally.
I started gardening only to kill time and began with some cacti but gradually my interest grew. It proved to be a great stress buster and was keeping me physically fit and agile. Gardening even helped me burn calories. BUT what started as time pass and killing boredom soon turned into passion. Within few days I found myself looking for new plants, buying all sizes of pots, gardening equipments. Let me confess, I even stole some and begged for plants. I suddenly turned very social and started interacting with neighbourhood aunties who were like art collectors and had some rare plants. Aunties were smarter than Google and doled out their gyaan on gardening methods. My bargaining skills developed tremendously as my rapid investment on plants was proving heavy on my monthly expenses. My contact list now boasted of group named ‘MALI’. Like a new and an inexperienced mother I called Mali Bhaiya now and then to answer my queries about my babies apart from his monthly visits for vaccinations i.e. manures, cutting etc. I even behaved like a jealous mother “ Uske paudhe mere paudhe se sundar aur healthy kaise? Hi main kya karoon?”
 I loved spending time with them, eagerly waited for new leaves and buds to open and flowers to bloom. Like a curious child I looked every now and then when the seed would turn to seedling and then to plant. I revised my biology lessons on how to take care of plants, what to grow and when to grow. The number of plants grew in multiples of 10 and soon I had my small collection of around 200 plants. I was so obsessed that I grew plants in washbasins, dhokla and milkmaid containers, broken cups, small tokris, even mudas, to say , any container I could lay my hands on. As it happens I was labelled insane. Apart from my daily chores, watering plants, plucking out weeds, turning soil became part of my life. I woke up before sunrise just to see some flowers opening their dewy eyes in arms of morning sun rays and gently swayed in cool breeze. YES I WAS  IN LOVE. During this courtship I learnt many lessons of life which I would like to share:

FLOWER-- Life should be colourful, full of fragrance, peaceful and beautify your surrounding howsoever small it might be. I learnt that I should do my bit for my surroundings and give something to this world. We should not wait for the right moment or time but start now because life is short and unpredictable.

Stem—No matter what may come or go, storms or rains, sunny days or cloudy days it holds the plant together. It lets the leaves attach to itself till they turn yellow and fall. It’s like your family which supports you in thick and thin. It braves all the odds and doesn’t let you fall down.

Roots— the foundation of the plant, the stronger the better. It binds the soil and let the plant stand upright. Roots are parents. They do their best to make the family stick together. They are the pillars on which your whole life builds upwards. The stronger the roots, the taller the plant.

Leaves—They are self sufficient and keep the plant nourished as they are the kitchen of the plant. As the plant grows, the leaves also multiply but each leaf gives space to other and all leaves flourish simultaneously. Leaves are our brothers, sisters cousins and extended family. All take care of themselves but are nourished indirectly by roots and they in turn give support to roots and stem when the plants grow up. As leaves are the ornaments of a plant so are the extended family. The more the merrier.

Fruits___ As the proverb in Hindi says “ Mool se pyara sood”. Everyone waits for the juicy mangoes, apples and other fruits. Similarly grandparents wait for the sweet grandchildren who will carry on their family name and legacy. Grandchildren rejuvenate the older generation who once again start the process of teaching new generation and in the process become child themselves.


Trees—Flowers, fruits and leaves come and go. Birds and animals build their nest, lay eggs, birdies are born and then everyone fly off but trees stand there strongly. Likewise people come, enact their roles and fulfil their duties and leave the world but LIFE and its show go on irrespective of the arrival and departures of the actors.

Cactus and other desert plants—Reminds everyone of spines and thorns. They also bear flowers and fruits but at the right time. Similarly everyone witnesses struggles, bad days, failures, ups and downs but all these things pass away with the time and good days do come at the right time.

When the spring season comes, leaves multiply and flowers bloom. Similarly the festivals, weddings, get together are spring time for family when the family is in full bloom.
                       
What are you waiting for? Come let’s cultivate the plant and our family.

Bharti Kikan

No comments:

Post a Comment