Thursday 7 April 2016

A DAY WELL SPENT

A DAY WELL SPENT

“Holi hai bhai holi hai”, loud music and children with gulal smeared faces dancing to the bollywood hits, that was how I was greeted by children at Shubhakshika Educational Society-- the shelter home for homeless children. They aren’t your neighbourhood kids; instead they are children who are deprived of normal childhood, living in extreme poverty. Some were homeless, some were orphans, some were rag pickers but what bonded them together was poverty, illiteracy and yearning for a normal childhood.
“Aunty, please dance with me”, when a boy of around 10 asked me, I couldn’t resist and joined the celebrations. Childhood doesn’t discriminate on the basis of poor or rich, young or old, for children equality exists at all levels. My visit to the centre was not planned. One of my good friends, Rosy Sachdeva, had joined this NGO few years back. She just invited on Face book to like the page and I got hooked. I called her up and she invited me to attend their holi celebrations.

Shubhakshika Educational Society is a two storey building where these children live. There are around 40 kids-some stay there only, some go back to their homes in the evening. The centre provides them free education, meals, books, stationery, vocational training. The volunteers also counsel them on various topics like hygiene, sanitation, adolescence, how to deal with peer pressure and stay from drugs, alcohol etc. The centre is run by a group of people who are all doing well in their respective fields. I met Mrs. Usha Bhatnagar, the chairperson of the centre. She told me about all the activities they do at the centre and help they are always in need of, in any form-donors, volunteers, household items, stationery items, soaps, towels , any thing you need at your home is needed by these children as well. There is a cook for cooking all meals and two teachers are there for teaching purposes. They also have a van that brings these children from home if they skip the school. They also counsel their parents to get their children educated. Children medical check-up are also done regularly. One can sponsor lunch with two days prior notice at Rs. 2000/ only.

What caught my attention were the sparkling eyes of the children who were free of any worries or tensions. They were not bothered about their future but were surely enjoying their present. They were full of hope and confidence. There was no anger or resentment towards God, society or anyone for their situation. May be they have accepted their situation, rather gracefully. I also learnt the lesson to be happy and contented with what we have and be ever thankful to God. I got myself clicked there and must say that it was one of the best pics of mine with such natural smile. I also felt very small that we, the so called intellectual class of well-to–do society, are not doing much for such social causes. We are ever ready to get clicked with brooms in our hands and argue endlessly on TV channels or start # movements on Internet. I would like to add that I salute people like Dr. Usha Bhatnagar, her husband, Rosy Sachdeva, Salesh Sachdeva and a whole lot of people who are giving their time for such causes and inspiring others too.

Hereby I request all of you to do what each one you can do, wherever you can do, whatever you can do to help the needy people of our society. Each one should do our bit and give back to our society. As my dear friend Rosy says” GENERATE GOOD KARMA FOR YOURSELF”. Even all our religious scriptures say
SERVICE TO HUMANITY IS THE BEST SERVICE TO GOD.

If you are interested to help, you can contact at the following address:
Shubhakshika Educational Society
H.O.: SHUBH Open Shelter Home
J-Block, sector-16, Plot no.124/125
Rohini, New Delhi-110089

Tel no: +91-9810201542 ;011-27852040/25253645

BHARTI KIKAN

No comments:

Post a Comment